St Nicholas Church , Tillingham

 

This historical church dates to the 12th century with the chancel added in the 13th century although the south aisle was rebuilt in the 19th century.

The font is of late Norman style  of 12th century and so appears to be the original font.

The west tower is 14th century.

The south porch was added in 1860.

Brasses dated 1584 are dedicated to Edward Wiot and John Wakeham.

The clock was added in celebration of Queen Victoria's Jubilee.

Tillingham Church has been associated with St Paul's since about 600 when the parish of Tillingham including the land on which the church stands was given to the Bishop of London as part of the appeal for funding to build the monastery of St Paul. The Dean and Chapter of St Paul's Cathedral are still patrons of Tillingham Church

   

 

 Click here to visit a page listing the vicars of Tillingham

Click here to read about the church bells at this church

Worley's - A dictionary of the County

In 1915 George Worley wrote about the Church in his Dictionary of the County

The church is evidently of Norman origin, as shown by the north doorway and structure of the walls; but the predominant styles are Early English and Perpendicular.

The former is illustrated in the chancel with sedilla and piscina, and in the elegant font, all belonging to the thirteenth century.

There are brasses to lady Margaret Wyott (1526), Edward Wyott (1584) and John Wakeham (1584) .

The embattled square tower contains six bells.

Restorations were effected in 1866 and 1888, in neither case beyond criticism.

Registers begin from 1652.

Google
 
Web

www.essex-family-history.co.uk