Manors of St Lawrence

St Lawrence have three Manors - East Newland, West Newland and the principal Manor of St Lawrence Hall.

East Newland

The Domesday book lists East Newland as held by Ingwar

There are 4 Bordars , 1 serf, 1 freeman  and 1 plough

The estate is 120 acres worth 30 shillings

The Freeman holds 7.5 acres worth 7 pence

Ingwar was of Royal Danish descent holding several Manors including East Newland

The Manor then passed to St John's Abbey in Colchester until the reformation when it reverted to the Crown and was granted to Lord Thomas Cromwell

Henry 8th then gave the manor as freehold to George Cley as part of his Knights Fee for services to the King

From Cley it passed to John Coker , then to his son also John Coker and on John's death in 1551 to his brother Robert Coker

By 1608 the manor had passed to his Ralph Browning ( also called Browninge and Breeder on records) and on Ralph's death it passed to his older brother Richard Browning.

The next name mentioned is Abel Clarke who was wealthy paying the highest amount in parish subsidy rolls.

By 1745 the Lord was Anthony Dean from Harwich. Records for 1745 show the Manor as having 200 acres of arable, 5 acres meadow and 200 acres pasture

The next three occupants were comparatively short lived occupants -John Nicholson , Arthur Dabbs from Hatfield Peverall and Samuel Trew.

By 1772 the occupant was Mr Payton and in 1783 the land was in  possession of local man H Nicholas Pattison.

In the 1800's tenants included Richard Hunt  and John Root with owners including a Mr Ellis , Robert Pilkington. Robert Deardes and at the beginning of the 19th century Richard Cowle who moved from Lancashire to farm this land.


WEST NEWLAND

The Domesday book lists West Newland as held by The Priory of the Holy Trinity, Canterbury

There are 3 Vilan's  , 2 serf's, and 1 plough

There are 24 sheep

The estate is 240 acres worth 40 shillings

A family called De Tillebury( or de Tilbury in some records) with the long term stewardship of Robert Ledett.

In the time if Edward III the estate became notorious as it was one of the lands that the King gave to his mistress Alice Perrers along with the manors of Dengie and Bradwell.

It is doubtful that Alice Perrers actually visited the estate although the income from the estates made her a wealthy woman.

Although the estate was taken back from her in 1378 it was returned on her marriage to William de Wyndesore.

In 1390 there were new owners with Clement Spys and William Totham recorded before it passed to the custody of the Prior of Christ Church in Canterbury.

In 1508 Robert Rochester is recorded as holding the manor before he was succeeded by his son William Rochester and then his son John.

By 1633 William Austen held the land on behalf of the Earl of Warwick.

In the 1700's Wiliam Sewell was a long term occupant being buried in the Parish Church.

The 1800's saw Joseph Pattison, Percy Wedd, Richard Going, Benjamin Bayles, W A Pattison , Wenn Ellis Edward Allen Catchpool, Robert G Brown, The Governors of St Bartholemews Hospital and Robert Partridge.


ST LAWRENCE HALL

St Lawrence was not listed as a manor in the Domesday Book

The first mention of the Manor is in 1295 when it was held by Roger Baynard as 120 acres of arable land and a marsh rented from three land owners

Roger was succeeded by his nephew Thomas and then Thomas's widow Johanna who appears to have owned several other manors including Burnham and Mayland

In 1409 Lord Batholemew Bourcher-Chivaler  held the Manor along with Tillingham, Asheldham, Mayland, Latchingdon and Nispalls ( Maylandsea) as well as Beeliegh

By 1422 Bourcher's  son Hugo Stafford Chivaler held St Lawrence Hall

The next occupant listed is Sir John Shaw in 1496 who was Sheriff of London, MP for the City, Lord Mayor, Master of the Mint and Prime Warden of the Goldsmith's Company. Sit John  Lived on another estate at Rochford although he would no doubt have visited his land at St Lawrence

The estate passed to Sir John's son Edmund and then to Edmund's daughter Alice who married William Foley

By 1572 the estate was held by Judge Richard Weston before passing to his son Sir Jerome Weston

Robert Clarke Snr and then Jnr were the next Lords before another prominent Londoner assumed the Manor

Sir John Leman was an Alderman in the city Sheriff I 1606 and then Lord Mayor in 1616, Leman was Prime Warden of the Fishmongers Company, president of Christ's Hospital and patron of several schools in London

His cousin William Leman inherited the manor when Sir John died at the venerable age of 88

The family of Mason then took over the Manor and remained at the helm for many years although the family home remained in Westminste

By 1767 Mr Bartholemew was the tenant but by 1783 the records show that the owner was the heirs to the late Mary Sallows with the heir being William Sallows

From then the estate passed to James Robinson, Archibald Kirkpatrick, John Vinson, George Vinson and John Coster

The Rolfe family became owners in the early 1800's and have let the farmland to Mark Fosdyke, Robert Fuller,William F Witney, Ernest Smith and Clement W Parker

In the late 1800's ownership passed to Robert Haddock, William Pye and then to Robert Procter at the start of the 1900's


OTHER ESTATES

In addition to the Manors there are several significant estates in St Lawrence

Moynes , Gallants , Motts , Barkhams, Redhouse , Ramsey Wick, Tinnocks, Blackhouse and Beacon Hill

 

 

Google
 
Web

www.essex-family-history.co.uk