Royal Corinthian Yacht Club

rcyc on opening The Clubhouse pictured in 1935

The Royal Corinthian Yacht Club (RCYC) dominates the River Bank in modern Burnham although it has been a feature of the town since 1892.

The RCYC began life as yachting became popular in 1872  as the Corinthian Yachting Club based in a hotel on the banks of the Thames at Erith.

Royal approval in the form of a warrant was given to RCYC. This warrant still allows members to fly the blue ensign on their yachts.

By 1897 the club had expanded to the extent that it was able to build a clubhouse at Erith.

In 1892 Royal approval went further in bestowing the title Royal to the Cornithian Yacht Club.

The Crouch became a popular sailing venue and so the RCYC opened a base for it's members ion a room at the White Harte Inn on the Quay so that members could visit Burnham for it's excellent sailing at a time when the Thames was becoming more and more busy with commercial vessels.

By 1899 the clubhouse at Erith was abandoned as the Thames was just too busy to allow for yachting and new Clubhouses were built at Burnham on Crouch and  the Isle of Grain allowing sailing in the Thames at wider stretches in the estuary that were not so badly affected by the commercial traffic.

By 1929 the membership had expanded providing the need for a new Clubhouse and Joseph Emberson who was a well known architect was commissioned to design a modern building.

His design became the RCYC building that we recognise today which combined wet rooms and other important facilities ton help yachtsmen with large dining areas, bars and balconies to provide after sailing facilities and dormitories to provide convenient overnight accommodation after sailing and dining

Although there was some controversy at the time about the modern appearance of the building it was considered an architectural masterpiece and won the bronze award by RIBA.

To visit the website of the RCYC click here

 

View Peter Layzell's profile on LinkedIn

Google
 
Web

www.essex-family-history.co.uk