Parish Pumps

Until the Public Health ( Water) Act 1878 it was the responsibility of each parish to provide water for its residents.

This was achieved in most cased by the means of a village pump.

Early pumps had a wooden frame such as those at Tillingham village green and Bradwell on Sea.

Later pumps were made from cast iron as is the case with the Southminster pump which was built in 1832 by Richmons and Sons, Chelmsford.

Steeple's water pump was unusual in that although made from cast iron it had a wheel to pull the water rather than the usual handle.

Bradwell Village Pump

Southminster Village Pump

Tillingham Village Pump

Village Green

Tillingham's second pump

Brook Road

Steeple Village Pump

 

to visit a page with details of the water supply in 1901

 

Google
 
Web

www.essex-family-history.co.uk