LAND TAX COMMISSIONERS 1838

Land tax was a fund raising invention in 1692 by William III and Mary and proved such a success that it was retained until 1963.

The tax was administered at a local level by local people and should the amount not be collected the parish was penalised.

The local people appointed as Land Tax Commissioners were normally clergymen and other local worthies.

In 1838 Queen Victoria had just come to the throne and found that money was in short supply partly to the lack of local collectors.

The Land tax Collectors Names Act was passed detailers the names of local collectors for all of the UK including Essex.

Listed below are the worthies responsible for collecting the land tax in Eastern Essex.

Title

Christian name

Surname

Parish

 

T D

Tatum

Althorne

Rev

James

Bruce

Althorne

Rev

Thomas

Schreiber

Bradwell on Sea

 

John

Coster

Bradwell on Sea

 

John Joseph

Bygrave

Burnham on Crouch

Rev

Charles

Owen

Latchingdon

 

Richard

Sally

Mundon

Rev

H A

Browne

Stow Maries

Rev

George

Vigne

Tillingham

 

John Laver

Willes

Tillingham

 

James Brewster

Cozens

Woodham Mortimer

 

James

Dyke

Woodham Mortimer

Rev

R P

Morrell

Woodham Mortimer

 

John Oxley

Parker

Woodham Mortimer

  

 

 

Google