HISTORIC BUILDINGS OF BURNHAM ON CROUCH

Burnham on Crouch has a long and varied history and of course it has the buildings to match. Burnham has an incredible 117 - yes one hundred and seventeen buildings which are listed as grade 2 or better by the Secretary of State for the Department of the Environment.

Details of  buildings built before 1703 plus a few other special buildings are listed below are listed below.
For Further details contact Maldon District Council Conservation Officer on 01621 854477.
 

Belvedere Road
Studland Cottage

A 18th century building with a splendid west end dated 1703 which has the original double hung sashes with glazing bars.

Belvedere Road
Royal Corinthian 
Yacht Club

Designed by Joseph Emberton in 1930 winning a national architectural award


Chapel Road

A range of mid  19th Century timber framed Essex Weather board cottages

Creeksea Lane
Creeksea Church

Rebuilt in 1878 to a design by F Chancellor but incorporating some features of the 14th Century Church in the south porch and doorway. The interior has a 15th Century font and a brass and sword of Sir Arthur Harris who died in 1631

Ferry Road
Creeksea Place

A late 16th Century red brick house standing in a park of 30 acres now used as a caravan park. The original building was completed in 1569 . The south wing was destroyed in 1740 and the east and north wings remain.
Substantial rebuilding of the east wing took place in the nineteenth century. There are many original features including windows, chimney stacks and staircases.

Ferry Road
The Old Tudor Cottage

A 16th century building formerly the Greyhound Inn is a timber framed building which was renovated in the twentieth century. The building is in Tudor style with lattice leaded lights. The interior has a priests hole approached by an iron door in the fireplace.

High Street
The Clock Tower

A red brick octagonal clock tower with black brick quoins and diapering which was built in 1877 and dedicated to the memory of Laban Sweeting a well known local resident. Attached is the old school house now converted to flats.

High Street
Creel Cottage
(No 83)

An 18th century Essex Weather board Cottage

High Street
No 56

A 16th century timber frame and plaster house with recent alterations.

Maldon Road
Pinners Farmhouse

A 17th century timber frame and plaster house built in 1654

Maldon Road
Cherry Garden

A 17th century red brick house with 2 wings. There is a fine chimney stack with 4 diagonal shafts to the east side which is believed to be original.

Ship Road

A row of 18th century Essex Weather board Cottages

Southminster Road
St Mary's Church

A 14th century stone rubble church of 9 bays. The south porch has a Tudor linenfold panel door. The plain square font is of Purbeck marble and has been dated as being made in 1200 ad

 

Southminster Road
Burnham Hall

A 17th century timber framed and plastered house with a moat.

 

Station Road
Mill House 
(no 107)

a 17th century timber framed and weather board house dated at 1640 with an 18th century colour washed front 

A view of High Street cottages

White Hart Hotel


An Elizabethan Hotel famous for the capture of the Pirate Fiddler during the reign of Elizabeth 1
 

Google