Charles  Escott

Charles Hay Sweet-Escott was born on 27 May 1846 to Rev Charles Sweet-Escott and his second wife Ann ( Nee Young).

His grandparents were Rev Thomas Sweet and Mary Escott who both changed their family name to Sweet-Escott in 1810.

They had twelve children with Charles father being the ninth child born.

On the death of her father Mary inherited the family estate at the Manor of Hartrow in Somerset which ensured that the family were comparatively wealthy.

Rev Charles Escott was Vicar of Tillingham from 1859 to 1879 and brought his wife and 13 year old son to live at Tillingham Vicarage.

As a fit young man from a wealthy background Charles was immediately drawn into the lively sporting and social world of cricket led by the Page brothers.

Charles was an immediate success as a lively bowler and over the next few seasons developed as a reliable his batting and became a fine all rounder.

At this stage there was no formal country cricket  but there was a representative team called the Gentlemen of Essex who played fixtures against the gentlemen of other counties.

Prominent club players were selected to play for the Gentlemen of Essex.

Charles became a regular player for the Gentlemen of Essex from 1868.

Once Essex Cricket Club was formed in 1870 Charles was selected to play for Essex and continued to play for Essex until he retired from County cricket in 1880.

Charles  died on 11 August 1920.

 

 

Google
 
Web

www.essex-family-history.co.uk