Crouch Yacht Club

The Crouch Yacht Club (CYC) occupies a western position on the Quay at Burnham .

The Crouch Yacht Club began life based in a houseboat called daydream moored at North Fambridge.

In 1911 they started the Houghton cup which followed a hazardous routed round the sandbanks and through the commercial shipping lanes at Harwich before finishing in Burnham on Crouch. This race remains the oldest offshore yachting race in the UK.

The Club decided to relocate in Burnham and initially moved the houseboat to Burnham until 1912 when they bought the Sail Loft recently vacated by Saddlers to use as their Club House.

In 1979 the Clubhouse was given a major refurbishment including a new front end giving the large two storey red brick building that we now know as the Crouch Yacht Club.

 

View Peter Layzell's profile on LinkedIn

Google
 
Web

www.essex-family-history.co.uk