Burnham-on-Crouch Cottage Hospital

In 1902 Burnham Nursing Association was formed and a District Nurse employed to work within the town.

A corrugated iron structure stood in new road which was used by the Red Cross as a Hospital. Its use includes designation as an Auxillary Military hospital for treatment of injured troops during World War 1. When it was no longer required as a hospital the building was moved to Queens road where it was used for boat building and then meetings for local boy scouts.

By the 1930's there was a need for a cottage hospital  so the Nursing Association arranged for local builders J E Smith to construct  Burnham Cottage Hospital in New Road, Burnham on Crouch at its junction with Albert Road.

The building was opened in October 1937 providing wards and a nurses home.

The ground floor contained a reception area , a meetings room, a kitchen and a small accident ward. On the first floor were two single patient wards and two nurses bedrooms. In total 5 patients could be accommodated.

The Georgian style design by  Mr E Cooper contained modern features such as a fireplace, two dormer windows and sanitary equipment in each room.

In 1948 the hospital was taken over by the National Health Service and was changed to a maternity hospital for the town with the majority of the towns children in the 60's being born in its walls.

Sadly the trend for large in the health service saw the closure of this unit and the building is now used for housing.

  

 

Google