History of Congregational Church, Burnham on Crouch 

 

 In 1861 a group of independent Christians started to meet together in Burnham and planned the building of a chapel at the junction of Chapel Road with High Street. (The entrance to the Council Chamber runs thro' the old school room)
The members agreed to affiliate with other independent churches stemming from the 1662 Act of Uniformity that later became known as the Congregational Church.
This was also at the same time that the Methodist Cause was opened in Albert Road.
The work of the local church developed with the forming of a Sunday school and extensive renovation, allowing seating for 300 people, at the turn of the century.
In the depression a club was started for the unemployed and during the last War a club for Servicemen and Women stationed at Burnham was organised.
In February 1946 the church premises were completely destroyed by fire and the congregation were grateful top the Parish Church who made the St Mary's Hall available for Sunday Work and worship until the new premises were built on the Hill House Estate in 1950.
While post war building restrictions and the cash available meant that they were utility in style they served as a centre for work with all age groups with an emphasis on children and youth work.
In 1972 following discussions at local and national level the Congregational Church in England and Wales joined with the Presbyterian Church in England to form the United Reform Church - hence our name today.
At the time of the union one of the stated aims of the new church was to continue to seek and work for the unity of the church in the UK.
More room was needed for the various groups and hence the Marsh Mission was added in 1955 (until 200) having served on Burnham Marshes since 1904 and later rooms were constructed from post war 'prefabs'.
The small local Methodist Church joined with us in 1984 and therefore we represent Methodist interests in the town..
Since the 'eighties' the pastorate has been shared with our sister URC church at Southminster.
The year 1994 saw a major refurbishment being undertaken by the local church to prepare for its continued work by offering a facility that was much more flexible in the ways that the halls and the worship area could be used.
In 2008/9 the old 'prefabs' were removed and a new hall was built through the generosity of Mr Bill Clark-Lewis.
In 2013 another benefactor, Mrs Ann Monks allowed us to continue with the refurbishment of the worship area and remodel the front aspect of the Church building giving a better shop window aspect.
The oldest part of the building is the foundation stone taken from the old church building in Chapel Road and can be found near to the South Side entrance.

The above narrative was provided in July 2015 by the Jon Morgan who is the current Pastor of Burnham on Crouch URC Church.

Click here to see a list of ministers of Burnham URC Church




View Peter Layzell's profile on LinkedIn

Google
 
Web

www.essex-family-history.co.uk