St Andrews Church, Althorne

Perpendicular 14th century parish church with a tower of black flint and grey ragstone in a trellis pattern.

Above the west door is an inscription mentioning Johannis Wylson and Johnaais Hyll who were the Vicar and the main sponsor for the building.

The chancel is 16th century built from red Tudor brick with a Victorian window added during a 20th century restoration.

The octagonal font dating from the 14th century is ornately carved.

In the nave there is a brass of William Hyklott 1508 and floor slabs to Margaret Hyklott 1502 and Elizabeth Gordon 1701.

to visit the web site of Althorne Church

to read about the church bells at this church

The Church Hall is a few hundred yards away in Summerhill.

A tablet in the Church hall commemorates the hall's opening in 1909.
The Architect is shown as Ernest Lupton. The Vicar as Rev W Shaw Stewart and the Churchwardens as Thomas Fisher and Frederick Stone.

Worley's - A dictionary of the County

In 1915 George Worley wrote about the Church in his Dictionary of the County

The church is an interesting building of flint and stone, mostly in the perpendicular style, but with a modern brick chancel, which is considered an unsatisfactory addition.

Part of the rood screen remains; and the curious brasses to Margaret Hyklott (1502) and William Hyklott (1508) who "paide for the workmanship of the walls of this churche" indicate the original builders.

The earlier brass bears an engraving of the Virgin and Child and the other a quaint crucifixion.

A stone over the west doorway has a Latin inscription asking prayers for the souls of john Watson and John Nyll, probably the builders of the tower.

The sixteenth century octagonal font has various appropriate devices on its panels including a depiction of a baptism rite, and a crucifixion of St Andrew, the patron saint, the corners being adorned with figures of angels(mutilated), flowers and grotesque faces.

There are two bells, one by Thomas Harrys (c 1480) inscribed Vox Augustine sonet in Aure Dei, the second Miles Graye made me 1638.

Church registers from 1734.

Click the above logo to visit Find Who You Are which is a sister site containing hundreds of free pages of professional advice on finding your family tree

 

Google
 
Web

www.essex-family-history.co.uk